I know that in some parts of the world September might be the beginning of the cool down period but here in Los Angeles it has been hotter than Hades. It has been around 95 degrees for weeks now and September shows no signs of letting up.
But have no fear, the cool spray is here.
This easy to make cool down miracle is the perfect companion for any hotter-than-hot day.
What you’ll need:
- 3 tbsp. Aloe Vera Gel (I don’t mean the mean-green-toxic-machine you can get at the drug store. Try to choose something with as few preservatives as you can and certainly not green. Aloe Vera gel is naturally clear or a little brown at it’s darkest. )
- 3 tbsp. witch hazel
- 4-5 drops peppermint essential oil
- Small squirt bottle (You can easily reuse one something-or-other came. You can also find them at a crafts supply store.)
Just mix all the ingredients together and put in your spray bottle.
I like to spray it in my hand and not directly on my face because it does come out as more of a gel torpedo as opposed to a nice fine mist. You don’t want to surprise yourself. So I just spray it in my hand and rub on my face, neck, feet wherever I need a little extra cool.
Be careful with the peppermint oil. I know it is tempting to put lots in because you think the more the cooler. Right? Well in reality too much peppermint will make you burn even hotter. So drop with cation.
This recipe is a bit drying which is perfect for anyone with slightly oily skin. The witch hazel is a great astringent and the Aloe is very nourishing. However I have dry skin and if you are like me I recommend only used this on your face about 3 times a day as it might dry you out a bit.
- Thayers Alcohol free witch hazel – Rose Petal with aloe vera. (bitsnpiecesreviews.wordpress.com)
- DIY Aromatherapy Body Spray (earthelixir.ca)
- Simple spray for the heatwave. (simplyenjoy.wordpress.com)
- Wholesome Wednesdays: Seconds till Cool Off (everythinggirlslove.com)